Oh dear
06-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Oh dear
Not looking good for Goran at either Nottingham or Wimbledon by the sounds of it. The following was taken from the Queens website after his first-round loss today:

"Goran Ivanisevic, the man who defeated Rusedski in the semifinal six years ago, was not as successful as he went in search of his first win on the ATP circuit in more than a year. The former Wimbledon champion, who had not won a match at this level since the 2002 NASDAQ-100 Open in Miami, has also been under the knife following shoulder and foot injuries.

The 31-year-old from Croatia, who became a father in April, was still suffering with shoulder and elbow problems as he went down 6-2, 6-2 against Jan Vacek of the Czech Republic, who will now play another former Wimbledon champion Richard Krajicek in the next round.

"I've had problems with my elbow since I came back at the Heilbronn Challenger [in January] and against the States in Davis Cup, and in Indian Wells against [Gustavo] Kuerten," said Ivanisevic. "I can't explain it. It's one year since I had my surgery and I hadn't played since the accident in Miami [where he injured his foot on the beach]. I started to play six days ago, so I didn't expect anything spectacular here. It was getting colder and he was returning very well. I can't get one or two free points on my serve and expect to win.

"I've never played well here [at Queen's]. When I won Wimbledon I had a disaster here. I played better today than I did in that match. My goal was to come here to England to see what happened, so I failed. Not because I lost the match, but because of my shoulder and my elbow. There's still two weeks to go so I hope I can manage something. I'll have some scans tomorrow and see what's going on."

Strawberries

Looking ahead, Ivanisevic added: "I'm not sure if I'm going to play at Wimbledon, but there's still time. It's like going to Rome and not seeing the Pope, it's frustrating to come to England and not go to Wimbledon. Maybe I can cut some grass, or paint some lines, or serve some strawberries.

"I said to God before I won Wimbledon, just let me win this match and I don't care if I never play tennis again. Then, after 13 years with no injuries, all these things happen. So maybe he heard and now it's tough to negotiate with God. It's non-negotiation with him."

This is a static archive of the Goran Online Forum. All content is preserved as-is.