Goran Online Forums

Full Version: Croatia Can Sleep Tight, Says Soldier Ivanisevic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: amdf92321.jpg]
<font color="teal">

ZAGREB, Croatia (Reuters) - Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic, who began his compulsory Croatian army service on Tuesday, says his country can relax now that he is part of its military defense.

``Now that I am in the army, you can all sleep peacefully,'' the Jutarnji List daily quoted Ivanisevic as saying near his coastal home town of Split, where he is about to start a two-week military training course.

``I know I have to undergo basic drill first. But, after that, they will probably send me to catch (Osama) bin Laden,'' joked the Croat, referring to the Saudi-born militant whose al Qaeda organization has been blamed by the United States for the attacks on New York and Washington.

Ivanisevic, who beat Patrick Rafter to win his first Grand Slam title at Wimbledon in July, will be officially sworn in on Dec. 15 in Zagreb as a member of a sports squad.

The 30-year-old passed a fitness test -- where only his eyesight caused him trouble -- and was formally drafted in September.

He will be allowed to train, travel and compete in tennis tournaments during his six-month service.

Ivanisevic, who ended the year as 13th in the world, has said he aims to quit tennis after playing for two more years.

</font>

Source: yahoo.com
Reference URL's