Goran Online Forums

Full Version: Fantastic, but so sad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hi all
Well, I made it to Centre Court for Goran's final match. Thought I wouldn't get there as I didn't manage to get into the queue in time for Centre tickets, but got a ground pass then just sat in the resale queue. At 3.55, 15 minutes after the match started I got a ticket. Ran to the court, and got on there to find him 1-4 down in the first set.
I think he and everyone in the crowd knew this was to be the end. We tried our best with many "Come on Goran"s and lots of "Goran - clap clap clap"!! as we did at the final in 2001.
But it was not to be. Unsurprisingly he looked a bit tired after the 5-set nail-biter the day before. And Hewitt just didn't seem to be able to miss.
By the start of the third set, I was crying already because I knew what was coming.
And then it was all over and Goran was standing with his arms raised, looking around Centre Court for the last time, to a huge standing ovation. Even amongst his obvious sadness his cheeky personality shone through when he put on the football shirt and flashed that glorious smile at everyone. There can't have been a dry eye in the house.
I was still sobbing into my flag several hours later, and today I feel completely flat. I can't even get interested in watching any of the tennis today. I just don't care anymore!!
He has gone home to Croatia now - someone I know saw him going through the airport. I think he will be sad, but he knows he has done the right thing, and he can make plans for the rest of his life and career.
I think we will see him again, somewhere, somewhen. He has mentioned Davis Cup involvement in interview, and of course theoretically he is playing the Supersets event in London in October (though I am not convinced he will actually be there!) He would make a great commentator or interviewer, but for now I'm sure he will just spend time readjusting to life outside tennis.
I still can't believe I won't be watching him walk out onto a tournament court ever again.
Thanks for the report :)
I was crying when he left as well :(

Can't believe he left the UK so quickly! I'm hoping he will turn up at the superset, though
like you I am not too convinced at the moment...
Reference URL's