Goran Online Forums

Full Version: Ivanisevic Not Considering Retirement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MONTE CARLO, Monaco (AP) - Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic isn't considering retirement from tennis despite the upcoming shoulder surgery that will force him to skip the Grand Slam tournament.

"I was supposed to open at Wimbledon on Monday (June 24) at 1 o'clock, and I can't finish my career this way," Ivanisevic said Tuesday. "I think I've got another two years."

The 30-year-old Croat is to undergo surgery to his left shoulder on Thursday, sidelining him for the rest of the year. Wimbledon runs June 24-July 7.

Ivanisevic will be the first Wimbledon men's champion not to return to defend his title since Stan Smith in 1973. Smith stayed away because of a player boycott. Traditionally, the men's titleholder opens play on the first Monday of the tournament.

"I think I am capable of coming back," Ivanisevic said. "It would be nice to come back to play Wimbledon. That's my goal."

Ivanisevic, who has had shoulder problems for several years, will undergo rotator cuff surgery in Heidelberg, Germany.

He was in Monaco to attend the Laureus Awards, sometimes called the "Oscars of Sport," for which he is nominated in the World Comeback of the Year category.

Last year, Ivanisevic became the first wild-card entry to win a Grand Slam singles title by winning at Wimbledon, where he was runner-up three times previously.

The Croat also said he expected Britain's Tim Henman to come under huge pressure at Wimbledon in the year of the Queen's Golden Jubilee, marking her 50 years on the throne.

"There's going to be a lot of pressure on Tim since it's the 50 years anniversary for the Queen celebrating the crown," said Ivanisevic, who beat Henman in the semis at Wimbledon last year. "I wouldn't like to be in his skin."

Ivanisevic said seven-time champion Pete Sampras also is a contender for the Wimbledon crown despite a two-year title drought.

"Pete isn't playing very well at the moment, but I still think he will be very dangerous," Ivanisevic said. "And I think he can do it again."

Source: yahoo.com
Reference URL's