Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Butts for Helpless Ivanisevic
11-15-2001, 02:48 PM
No Butts for Helpless Ivanisevic
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Not even his split personality could stop Goran Ivanisevic crashing to a 6-3, 6-4 defeat by Yevgeny Kafelnikov at the Masters Cup on Thursday.

The erratic Wimbledon champion had no answer to Kafelnikov's game, slumping to defeat in just over an hour in their round robin encounter.

Never one to mince his words, the colorful Croatian said he had been soundly beaten and that there was nothing he could have done about it.

``I don't remember the last time someone kicked my arse so bad,'' said Ivanisevic, whose unpredictable off-the-cuff comments have made him a long-time favorite with the media.

``It was like he was the driver and I was the co-pilot and we were driving on a one-way street to Russia not Croatia.''

Kafelnikov did not make a single unforced error as he raced through the first set in 27 minutes, then committed just five mistakes as he took the second set and booked his place in the semifinals.

``He was just too good, I didn't have a chance. Overall, he didn't give me anything,'' an admiring Ivanisevic said.

Kafelnikov marches to a different beat than the Croat, and his assessment of his performance was markedly toned down.

``I probably played one of my best ever matches against him,'' the Russian said. ``I can't explain why but I thought that I was sharp, I played extremely well.''

they try and they try but everything that they do
is the ghost of a trace of a pale imitation of you
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user