Ivanisevic happy to play doting daddy
04-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Ivanisevic happy to play doting daddy
It has been a year since Goran Ivanisevic last played as a pro, his bid for a second Wimbledon title ending in a defeat to Lleyton Hewitt in the quarterfinals. But now Ivanisevic is more content playing doting daddy to his two-year-old daughter.

Gulf Times’ N.D. Prashant caught up with him on the sidelines of the Qtel Champions tournament.

How different has been this year after quitting the pro scene?
It has been different. I don’t touch play too much these days. I am with my family all the while and my life revolves more around my two-year-old daughter Amber. I have a great time being with her and enjoy playing football a bit to keep myself fit. Keeping a close eye on my favourite football team Haiduk Split’s performance is also what I like.

Having bade good-bye to tennis just last year did you take the Qtel Champions event a bit easy?
No I have not. These players are all in good touch. Sergi Bruguera is in supreme touch and fit. These tournaments cannot be taken for granted because the players all can come strong at you and all are competitive. I have not trained enough to be at the top you can say.

What are your future plans?
The Croatian national team is doing well at the Davis Cup and I would like to be its captain one day. There are a couple of talented players in that side and I would like to be with them. Let’s see what happens.

You won Wimbledon pretty late in you career. How much did it change things for you?
I won Wimbledon when nobody expected me to win but I am happy that I won it at last. Thrice I was there holding the runner-up trophy and to get my hands on the winner’s trophy was fantastic and the most memorable moment of my career.

Any regrets?
Yes, if you look at my stats I have been in over 50 finals but I have won only 22. Had I been able to raise my win rate a bit higher it would have been a great achievement.

Your view on these tournaments for veterans?
It’s great that we have such events. We play competitive matches on the court and then sit and have a drink together. It becomes a nice outing for all the guys who have toured together for so long.

they try and they try but everything that they do
is the ghost of a trace of a pale imitation of you
Visit this user's website

This is a static archive of the Goran Online Forum. All content is preserved as-is.