Did anyone else ever think of this?
02-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Maybe Goran missing those 3 match points at Wimbledon was by design somehow (like destiny or God or whatever). Because he also was runner-up 3 times. I'm thinking that each match point that he missed was representative of each Wimbledon final he lost. So close and yet so far. And then he won it all on the fourth match points to make all of those other ones meaningless, just as he won the tournament on that day as well.

Really, this is probably the greatest sports story ever...you couldn't write a better script. 14 years, 3 times a finalist, 3 times a runner-up...needed a Wild Card to get in...Dad had bipass surgery...he has a torn muscle in his shoulder and has to take painkillers...seeded 125th...BOOM. Breaks every Wimbledon record ever, pretty much, breaking his own tournament ace record and becoming the first Wild Card to ever win not only Wimbledon, but a grand slam period. And it takes the greatest final ever in order to do it...right after the greatest semifinal ever vs. Henman in that emotional 3 day match where he'd lost the third set 6-0 and he was saved by rain (although he had managed to regroup and go up 2-1 in the 4th set before the rain delay came). Once it did, I knew he still had a good chance because he'd come out crisp, and if he could win that 4th set coming out crisp, it would all come down to one set, the 5th, and it would be awfully hard for Henman to swing the momentum back, especially since Henman was serving OUT OF HIS MIND on the first day of that three day epic. It evened out over the next two days, thank God, although the 4th was still really close.

Anyway...
02-07-2006, 01:04 AM
Jordan,Feb 6 2006, 12:35 AM Wrote:Maybe Goran missing those 3 match points at Wimbledon was by design somehow (like destiny or God or whatever). Because he also was runner-up 3 times. I'm thinking that each match point that he missed was representative of each Wimbledon final he lost. So close and yet so far. And then he won it all on the fourth match points to make all of those other ones meaningless, just as he won the tournament on that day as well.

Really, this is probably the greatest sports story ever...you couldn't write a better script. 14 years, 3 times a finalist, 3 times a runner-up...needed a Wild Card to get in...Dad had bipass surgery...he has a torn muscle in his shoulder and has to take painkillers...seeded 125th...BOOM. Breaks every Wimbledon record ever, pretty much, breaking his own tournament ace record and becoming the first Wild Card to ever win not only Wimbledon, but a grand slam period. And it takes the greatest final ever in order to do it...right after the greatest semifinal ever vs. Henman in that emotional 3 day match where he'd lost the third set 6-0 and he was saved by rain (although he had managed to regroup and go up 2-1 in the 4th set before the rain delay came). Once it did, I knew he still had a good chance because he'd come out crisp, and if he could win that 4th set coming out crisp, it would all come down to one set, the 5th, and it would be awfully hard for Henman to swing the momentum back, especially since Henman was serving OUT OF HIS MIND on the first day of that three day epic. It evened out over the next two days, thank God, although the 4th was still really close.

Anyway...
[right][snapback]18560[/snapback][/right]
02-07-2006, 01:05 AM
I'm still thinking everyday on 9-7-2001!

Gr. Eric
02-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Jordan,Feb 6 2006, 12:35 AM Wrote:Maybe Goran missing those 3 match points at Wimbledon was by design somehow (like destiny or God or whatever). Because he also was runner-up 3 times. I'm thinking that each match point that he missed was representative of each Wimbledon final he lost. So close and yet so far. And then he won it all on the fourth match points to make all of those other ones meaningless, just as he won the tournament on that day as well.

Anyway...
[right][snapback]18560[/snapback][/right]
damn...i really never made the connection between the 3 match points and the 3 finals he lost...that's pretty deep man..

This is a static archive of the Goran Online Forum. All content is preserved as-is.