Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ivanisevic plans new comeback
05-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Ivanisevic plans new comeback
ZAGREB (Reuters) - Goran Ivanisevic is slowly coming to terms with the reality of missing defending his Wimbledon title and he is already contemplating another spectacular comeback.

The 30-year-old says he will undergo surgery on his left shoulder in Germany next week, as the pain he had been fighting for more than a year had worsened beyond endurance in recent months.

"Everything is agreed, there is no point in delaying it further," the big-serving left-hander told Slobodna Dalmacija daily newspaper on Tuesday, based in his native Adriatic city of Split.

After surgery in Heidelberg, Ivanisevic will enjoy the status of "protected ranking", meaning he would be allowed to miss the first nine tournaments after the operation and keep his last ATP ranking unchanged.

"I know I could just as easily get invited to tournaments (after the surgery), but why should I be begging for invitations. This way I can skip nine tournaments before starting to regain my position," he said.

"Then I plan to be a candidate for the comeback of the year," he said.

This is what he did in 2001, when he entered Wimbledon with an injured shoulder and a triple-figure world ranking and became the first man to win a Grand Slam tournament as a wild card.

Source: reuters.co.uk

they try and they try but everything that they do
is the ghost of a trace of a pale imitation of you
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user