Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GORAN - THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!! (A tribute)
06-25-2004, 11:53 PM
goodbye goran
we all have to thankyou for allwhat you those in your carrier !!!
your matches your titles were great but what was more important his your emotions that you putt in what your done!!!! for your family ;for your country like in the JO in barcelona who you won 4 matches in 5 sets in a row for the bronze medal;or for your friend like drazen petrovic who died in june 1993 and you play after in wimbledon ppor tennis but the heart you putt into 3 big matches in five sets to the limits!!!!!
you are a good guy and hprfully you have the great live that you deserve !
and maybe who know see you next yearin wimbledon FOR a one turnemant comeback

salut goran
en tt que francais j te dis a bientot!!!
bonne chance mec!!
06-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Goran, when I was growing up the first match my dad showed me was a tape of your match against Andre Agassi in the final at Wimbledon. I was immediately riveted by your game and, even more, your good-natured search for fun on the court. I saw you play live twice at Key Biscayne against Chang and Sampras. I rooted against the crowd for you and I was delighted when your booming serve lifted you to victory. I was pained however Sunday when I saw the obvious agony and pain on your face when you tried to play the final but couldnt. I knew that your heart was broken to disappoint the fans so, but your body just wouldnt permit it. I later watched your US Open semifinal with Sampras and I was hooked.

I had thought that 1997 was your year; you outdueled Richard Krajeck 17-15 in the semis at Wimbledon. Then I cried along with you when you lost to Sampras in 1997, and in 2001 I believed so much that after you defeated Andy Roddick in the 3rd round at Wimbledon I bet a friend 20 dollars at 50-1 odds that you would win Wimbledon. For three days, I agonized with you as you battled Tim Henman and the inclement weather in the semifinals. I thought that was the best match I had ever seen. I was wrong.

Finally, on the Monday morning I had to go to camp, but I taped the final and told no one to tell me the result. I watched as soon as I got home, and I soon saw it was the best match I had ever seen. Rafter was a terrific player but your desire and emotion combined with your fearless serving finally won you the title. That was probably the most uplifting sports moment I have ever watched.

Thanks for all the memories, and I hope to see you in the stands at Wimbledon next year, to remind me of the terrific mathces you played in the past and the emotion, fun, adn desire you brought every tournament to the sport of tennis

Thank you!
06-26-2004, 12:38 AM
Goran, you are the greatest! We all love you, and will miss you forever!
06-26-2004, 12:45 AM
enough to say that you made many people interested in this sport itself. being one of the 10 best players over all the years,being the undisputedly world best tennis player in the first several months of 1996,beating muster in his prime on clay,winning wimbledon in a time where you never realistically could win, and given a serve which cant be learned and trained.all these achievements,every dramatical loss and all the disappointments,everything had his reason,it had to be like this.
thanks
06-26-2004, 01:19 AM
having followed you since 1990, I can only say you truly are a "people's champion". Good luck in future....Tennis and Wimbeldon will never be the same again!

Asif UK
06-26-2004, 01:20 AM
I'm so proud becouse I've had chance to see your last match.....

Hvala za sve!!

Maja, Novi Vinodolski
06-26-2004, 01:51 AM
hello goran...

listen ...u are just fantastic.the most skilfull player i have ever seen.i have been whatching u since i was 10 ...so that makes it 12 years.i cursed u so many times during ur matches...oh man:)but hey,...that's you.i just want you to know...U ARE UNIQUE!!!stay that way!thanks for everything goran....

lefter cristian
from timisoara,...romania
06-26-2004, 02:01 AM
aaaaaahhhhhhhh goran it's so bitter sweet to see you go ( i've had the tearful eyes all day). i've been your fan for ten years now (i'm 23) and it has been a privlige to have followed you through the very tough and very amazing times. to see you win wimbeldon for me was the greatest sports moment ever (i love you even more than micheal jordan). 2001 was the best wimbeldon ever and i will always sharish all of your highlights. i love you immensely and even though it sad seeing you go you can't ask for a more perfect farewell. i will definately miss reading your interviews lauging at all the funny, crazy and sweet responses. i will miss watching and taping your matches being both extremely nervous and excited going through the emotional rollercoaster that are the three stages of goran. bad goran likes to throw the raquets and curse poeticaly in croatian. good goran (more like crazy goran) likes to hit the ball between his legs, play scoccer with the ball, and likes to stick his tongue out letting us know how much you really love being out there. and of course 911 emergency goran who gave you wimbeldon and who gave you the perfect goodbye to the green grass. you are definately not just another player you are goran ivanisevic wimbeldon champion and the most geniune player with the most heart and personality to ever play the game. hope to someday see you play live on the senior tour, that's my dream!

best wishes! thanks for the memories :)
you are the croatian sensation man!
love ya!
karol..................................
06-26-2004, 02:13 AM
aaaahhhhhhhh goran! you are the best thing to happen to tennis. you are crazy, funny, beautiful, cool, sweet, and just freaking amazing. what a privilige to be your fan! best luck always and i wish you and your family the best. you are the greatest player ever cause you are always you and you play with your heart. i'll miss the aces :( hope to see you on the senior tour!

love ya goran!
06-26-2004, 02:20 AM
Goodbye Goran, and thank you for the memories. The tennis scene will seem flat after this. Please write your book, I'll reserve my copy now. Enjoy your time with your family.
06-26-2004, 02:49 AM
GORAN!!
I look back to my life and I see you like the one I respect. What a personality you are Goran!! Enjoying the game like less did. Entertaining. Pure Show!!
--
Allways giving the powerfull aces for the us, the die-hard fans.
Your the best!
--
It´s the first time I fell what the good people mean when they retire..
Today you played.. But I think I am missing your tennis..
--
Because of you I don´t have the enough interest to see other tennis matches, you are like a religion to me

WHERE CAN I DOWNLOALD THE WIMBLEDON FINAL THAT GORAN WON?
tiesto@portugalmail.pt

Pedro
PORTUGAL
06-26-2004, 03:17 AM
World will never have another Goran Ivanisevic !
You are the one and only for all time!

ZBOGOM LAVE !

ToRnADO ZADAR !
06-26-2004, 03:21 AM
I'll miss you Goran. I'm so glad you won at least 1 grand slam in your career, and it was a perfect ending to play one last time on Centre Court Wimbledon. You are one of my all time favorites, and I absolute love your serve. It is definitely one of the biggest weapons ever. Your sense of humour, your unpredictability, and your flare will certainly be missed. Your win 3 years ago was one of the best tennis matches ever. Cheers.

Richard
Toronto Canada
06-26-2004, 04:08 AM
Thank you for all the great memories!

Oliver
Austin, Texas, United States
06-26-2004, 04:14 AM
Dear Goran:

I just wish to let you know that I have truely enjoyed watching you play tennis all of these years. I enjoyed all of the emotion and talent that you have put into tennis. I was so happy when you won Winbledon in 2001. I have seen a lot of tennis matches over the years, but the match in which you won Wimbleton was the greatest match that I have ever seen. It was a nail-biter. I hope that you don't retire "full-time" and that we will see you play in the future. Today is really a sad day to see you play in your last match at Wimbledon. You are a credit to not only tennis, but also to Croatia. ( I guess I am partial to Croatia because I am part Croatian myself). I wish you the very best in your future, and may God bless you and your family always.

Lots of love,

Marianne
USA
06-26-2004, 04:41 AM
Dear Goran,

as for anyone else in this forum, today is a very sad day for me :( ! You played your last match in your favourite tournament! I first saw you play on tv in 1987 when you were 16 Years old. I saw a Davis Cup match and you were playing a double match with Bobo Zivojinovic. Since than I never stop watching you and supporting you. Together with John McEnroe you were my favourite tennis player and you always will! I was so happy when you won Wimbledon in 2001 and I went to watch you play 3 times, the first one was at the Milano final in 1997 or 1998 (I don't remember) when you won against Sergi Bruguera. The second one was in Stuttgart 2001 where I also met you in the hotel and took a picture with you (you were very nice and kind) and the last one was in 2003 in Milano again. I will never forget what you gave to tennis, you were and are a great player and a great person. Thank you for everything Goran! I will miss you so much. I hope you will play at least the senior tour, it would be great, so I could see you play against John McEnroe!:)

Good luck for the future!

Alan Jones,
Lugano, Switzerland

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Goran_Alan.jpg (Size: 120.38 KB / Downloads: 396)
06-26-2004, 04:54 AM
Goran Ivanisevic was my favorite player since I was 9 years old. He had the passion and drive that most tennis players will never have, even some of the champions. What he did coming out of Croatia and making it big was really something special. I mean the Croatian tennis Federation did not have near the money the US Tennis federation had for player development. It is truly special how Goran did what he did in tennis. What he did for the game of tennis will never be forgotten. You know early in his career he had to play for something whether it was for his sick sister of for his country. He never complained and said what about me and that is what made us love him more.

When in he won Wimbledon in 2001 I listened to all of his matches on Radio Wimbledon because I did not have a TV. In my view his run to the 2001 Wimbledon Championships was the greatest Grand Slam run by any man in terms of the players he beat en route to the Wimbledon championship. Unlike Sampras who many times got under par players in the first 3 to 4 rounds. Not to ever take anything away from Sampras, winning a slam is very tough, but Goran had such a difficult task in playing all those quality players.
Goran had the biggest challenge of his life. To defeat Moya who he never beat before, Roddick who had never played, Rusedski who has the British with him, Safin who he had never played, Henman who he never beat, and Rafter who had a winning record against him was something I don’t think we will see again in the near future.

Many feel that Goran's achievements don’t merit getting into the Hall of Fame. I strongly reject that and here is why. Let me begin by saying had he not won Wimbledon 2001 I would not have put him in the hall of fame and I think Goran himself would say the same. He would be in my personal Hall of Fame though. He always said to be considered a great you needed to win a slam. Goran should be in because he has won 600 career matches, just go to the ATP site and see what other players have done that. He has won tournaments on grass, clay, carpet, and hard. He has been to the quarterfinals of all 4 slams at least 3 times at each slam. He was the 3 times a finalist at Wimbledon, a semi in US Open where he was the last man to defeat Stefan Edberg there, and as we all know the 2001 Wimbledon Champion. He leaves the game having defeated the greats. Here is just a short list of players he has defeated in his career, Agassi, Sampras, Becker, Lendl, Edberg, Henman, Rafter, McEnroe, Roddick, Safin, Moya, Grosjean, Clement, Kuerten, Kafelnikov, Krajicek, Rusedski, Scheuttler, T. Martin, Courier, Chang, A. Costa, and the list continues........

Today he left Wimbledon for the final time, but his contribution to the game will never be forgotten. My advice to everyone out there is really never give up on anything you want in life. When you want to pack it in just take a look at Goran and his road through Wimbledon. I read this article a while back and it was after Ivanisevic was DQ for smashing all his rackets in a match. He said at least they will remember me for something. They will say something to the extent of "Hey there is that guy who smashed all his rackets and never won Wimbledon". The fact is even when Goran was DQ he still had a burning desire to play and win Wimbledon. After he lost to Sampras in 98, I was like there is no way he can possibly get back and win this tournament. I never wrote him off like Pat Rafter and Sampras, deep down I always believed God would give him just one Wimbledon and Goran believed it to. Had our beloved Goran never won Wimbledon there would have been no match today for us as he would have retired after Wimbledon 2001. His life would have been very difficult and as a fan I would have been crushed for a long time to come. Thanks Goran for fighting your way to the Wimbledon Championship in 01. I think he can leave the game now with no regrets about anything.

Another note I felt that Lleyton Hewitt acted like a true champion at the end of the match telling Goran that he was a great champion and that is was an honor to play him on Center Court. Lleyton could have been a jerk and thrown it in Goran's face that he won, but he was a true champion. A lot of people don’t like Hewitt, but his respect and admiration for Ivanisevic was apparent after their embrace at Center Court, Hewitt knew that all the cheering was for Goran, so he quickly wrapped his bags and tried to make sure Goran was the last man to come off the court.

I am going to miss seeing that serve in full kick but he said he will be playing some seniors tour so it will be fun. If Goran is around I don’t care if it is the over 80’s I will still go and watch and cheer my heart out. Do you guys remember the tie break at the US Open when Goran beat Nestor 19-17, that was simply amazing. Nobody can take my memories because as I live they will continue to live. Also Goran showed at this Wimbledon that he could still play with the young guys by defeating Youzhny and Volandri both men in their early 20’s. In closing I want to thank Goran for being such a great role model and hero for me. I hope one day I can meet him and tell him what an inspiration he was for me and how much he affected my life. Tennis lost a modern day icon today, but if we keep the memories of Goran with us he will never truly be gone from our hearts and minds. Your fans will always love you and be with you no matter where you go.

Your fan always

AAG

Ps If anyone knows where I can get some posters or magazines about Goran I would really appreciate it. It has been hard here in the states to find a poster, but I want one for my room. Thanks Sorry for writing so much its just that he means so much to me.
06-26-2004, 04:58 AM
Goran,
i have followed your carreer for 12 years.
you introduced me to tennis and i have never looked back.

i have been there (via television) for the lows, like today.

i am an australian, but my thoughts were (and still are) with you. Hewitt gave you a great game for your last at wimbledon, but no matter who you played, it would have been the same - your last at wimbledon. sorry to see you go, but you will always be in my memory as the most amazing, emotional player ever!

need i say my favourite memory is the wimbledon final in which you came to victory over Pat Rafter. The most amazing tennis match I have ever seen - all due to your determination, skill and amazing personality!
(by the way, you are such a spunk!)

regards
bianca
06-26-2004, 05:28 AM
Dearest Goran,

I never used to be interested in sport or in tennis, until November 2001 when my dad was your official driver for the Tennis Masters Cup in Sydney. I remember my dad said he told you how I started crying when you lost to Juan Carlos Ferrero and got knocked out of the tournament, and Dad told me you apologised 'for making me cry'! :o

Well I've followed your career ever since then and last night I started to cry all over again (and I think I'm starting to now as I write this too!). I'm so sad to see you go but as Dad made me realise, if that was your last match, I'm glad you got to play it on your favourite court, Centre Court at the All England Club.

Good luck with everything - we love you!!! :D

Julieanne, Bill (your 'old' driver) and Carol (my mum) in Sydney, Australia
06-26-2004, 05:44 AM
Goran, I have watched you play since you were a lanky teenager. Even then I knew you'd be a great player. For years I have followed your career, listened to your wonderful humour and watched your crazy antics and have loved every moment of it. As an Australian I watched you play Pat Rafter at Wimbledon and even though I hoped Pat would win I was not upset at all when you beat him ... if anyone deserved it that year it was you. I shall miss you, Goran. I hope the future holds everything you want for you and your family and I know you'll be a wonderful father and husband. Good luck and very very very good wishes for the future.

Virginia